- Our Rides
- Latin America
- North America
- Book Now
- Plan Your Holiday
Posted on December 11, 2015
Rounding off our articles about the guides who will be at the Riding Holiday Show on 12 December 2015 is David True from White Stallion Ranch in Arizona.
1. How long have you been guiding at White Stallion Ranch?
I have lived on the ranch my whole life (my family owns it). I have been a wrangler since I was 16.
2. Did you guide anywhere else?
3. How did you get into guiding/riding? Was there someone who inspired you?
Watching my family run the business inspired me to learn all I could. The corral and the horses are central to our business and life, so that is the role that I wanted to step into the most.
4. If you hadn’t become a wrangler, what was your Plan B?
I enjoy cooking and learned how to cook from our long-time chef, Judy (she has been working at the ranch since my Grandparents bought it 50 years ago. It’s a little different as we can cater for to up to 100 guests, but it is always good, fresh, ranch food.
5. People coming on a ranch holiday often think you have the ideal job – what do you love about it? And what are the downsides?
There are no downsides! My job is to keep people safe and make them happy. I get to share my knowledge of horses (we have approx 165 on our property), teach people to ride, and go out and enjoy the amazing desert scenery that surrounds the ranch.
6. What is the name of your favourite horse? And if they were a human, who would he/she be and why?
Gilbert is my favorite horse. He is a grulla quarterhorse who had a rough start to life with illness. We saw him through it and I took him on to be my main trail horse. He can be tough on others in the herd but he’s great with people and we get along pretty well.
7. What can you not live without (when riding or just generally)?
My horse, my family, my dog and my truck.
8. What has been your most memorable ride?
I once took a ride where a guest fell into cactus. She had to remove her shirt to get a lot of it off her – I gave her mine to cover up. I think she was pleased!
9. How do you relax after a day in the saddle?
I like to chill, watch a movie, drink a beer and hang with my dog.
10. What advice would you give a 21 year old who wants to train for your job?
Buckle up! In all seriousness, the best thing you can do is keep your head. People are there to have a great time, you are the captain of the ship, keep them safe. But… a lot of people want to learn and one of the best things we can do is share what we know – it really enhances the experience.
11. Where do you go on holiday?
What is this “holiday” you speak of?!!
Thank you David for some fantastic images and another amazing article. Olwen and the team look forward to seeing you at the Riding Holiday Show.
You can meet David from White Stallion Ranch at the Riding Holiday Show in London on 12 December 2015. Space at the venue is limited so you must obtain a ticket in advance. The event takes place at the Royal Overseas League in SW1 just off Piccadilly from 10 am to 6 pm.
40 different riding destinations will be represented at the Riding Holiday Show. All part of the In The Saddle portfolio of worldwide riding holidays.