Brexit: Travel Advice from In The Saddle.

Posted on March 8, 2019

Deal or no deal: the political process is still ongoing and we don’t yet know the final outcome. As many of you are now arranging riding holidays for 2019 and beyond we thought it would be helpful to share the following travel advice with you.

Will flights still operate?
Regardless of the Brexit outcome, planes will still fly between the UK and the EU. Even if we leave without a deal, the European Commission and the UK government have agreed that airlines will still be able to operate between the UK and the EU.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?
The European Commission proposed that even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa. From 2021, UK citizens may need to pay a fee (of around 7 Euros) for this visa exemption.

If travelling to the EU after 29 March 2019, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport. You also need to check when your passport was renewed in case extra months were added which will not count towards the six months that must be remaining. The UK government has published a website tool to check the validity of your passport: If in any doubt, we recommend you renew your passport sooner rather than later to make sure you have it in time for your holiday.

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance
In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which allows any EU citizen access to state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country, will no longer be valid for UK citizens. However, due to the limitations to EHIC, In The Saddle has always required that you have appropriate travel insurance in place which will cover you for the activities you plan to undertake.

Driving licences
If there is a no deal Brexit UK travellers driving in the EU on or after 29 March 2019 may need to apply for an International Driving Permit. These cost £5.50 and are available from the Post Office. More information is available here.

Data roaming
If the UK leaves without a deal there may be additional costs to making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU, although some UK phone companies have already said they will not charge their customers any extra.

What happens if I book to travel after 29 March 2019 and my holiday cannot go ahead due to Brexit?
There is nothing to suggest that you will not be able to continue with your holiday plans after 29 March. In The Saddle is bonded with ABTA and holds an ATOL. These are the two most recognised consumer protection schemes in the UK so you can book your holiday with us in total confidence. It is our responsibility to make sure your holiday is provided.

For further information on European Travel after 29 March 2019, please see: 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *